View Single Post
Old 04-21-05, 03:10 PM
jimv

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Rodriguez (custom SS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by absntr
The bike currently runs about $599. Did he say how much more it would have cost to stick with the Suginos? If it was $650 - that'd still be a sweet deal for the cranks. It'd be better to have a nice track crank you could take away with you if the frame ever crapped out. And since you're upgrading...
He didn't say. Dan joked that it would affect the price by 5 cents and the rep said it was "a lot more" but in reality, KHS would be offered a ridiculous deal by either manufacturer and the increase is really the difference between the 'sweet-deal' prices of the two cranks + the difference in profit markup..... (assuming the overhead isn't affected). I'd guess the consumer cost of the bike would go up by $20.00 - $30.00 dollars max ..... just MY guess. I also suspect a big concern is the cost, as "perceived by the consumer", when that $599.00 tag rolls past the $600.00 mark.

Do you think the average consumer really sees $3.99 as significantly cheaper than $4.00? I don't know, anyway, these are all just my impressions and opinions.

Take care...

Jim