Old 05-29-10, 04:54 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting again, how long to build to a century?

The body sure doesn't recover as fast as it used to at 64, so I am curious what's a reasonable length of time to plan to train for riding distance. I rode a lot when I was a kid, although not racing, and I rode for a while around age 40. 100 miles isn't a particularly magical number to me, but it seems it figures quite prominently in local group events. I joined Bike Forums because it seemed this might be a good place to ask a question like this.

I imagine the fundamentals of building up mileage with one long ride every week work like it did for running (I ran several marathons). Is there a good book or on-line info source (I am not expecting this specifically tailored to old folks) that you'd recommend?

I will probably replace my 35-year-old Lotus with a modern (2005-2010) bike that has 105 gear (or better) and carbon forks (or better). I rode a 2010 Specialized Roubaix (carbon w/ 105 double) and a 2010 Specialized Specter (aluminum w/ 105 triple & carbon fork) today. I took each out for about 5 miles of mild rolling hills (I love New England). Very nice, but I will probably buy used to save money. The aluminum was great! But the carbon was better.

HISTORY
I am impulsive and I like to jump into things. I was a runner til about 5 years ago (tapering down since 55). My weight is 235 at 6/2". 33% body fat. I'm pretty healthy except my knees and the fat. I joined a gym about 5 weeks ago, did some muscle work on the circuit machines, and have done cardio using the stationary bikes and the elliptical striders. I also did an hour spinning class - it was very tiring. I pant and I get my heart rate into the 130's, but I recover quickly enough that I've b been able to go every other day.