Old 06-01-10, 11:06 PM
coolkid_cody

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Schwinn Continental II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatallightning
i wouldn't call 48x15 way too low. sounds like some leg speed workouts are in order.

and as fat as fixed/free hubs, i just throw a fixed cog on the free side. not going to be skidding around or significantly backpedaling on the track. i have a 15 fixed and 14 on the free side mounted.
I don't think so. I've been riding my street fixie with a 47X19 and 47X22 for the past year in a VERY hilly area and can spin at least 150 rpms on flats and 240 (for about 15 sesonds then have to brake) down hills with no hopping in the saddle. Everyone has been telling me that my 48X15 is a warmup gear and I believe them. Tonight was my first track race, didn't have time to fiddle with my gears so I left the stock gearing on. I just watched the camera footage of it and I was spinning significantly faster than the other riders.

To the OP, fatallightning is right about the free side, just crank the cog on there tight alone and it will be fine. My TK2 was soposed to come fixed/ fixed but came fixed/ free instead. I wasn't too happy about it not coming as speced. Don't let something small like that steer you away from an otherwise nice bike.

Last edited by coolkid_cody; 06-02-10 at 10:55 AM.