Old 06-04-10, 09:52 AM
common man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lol thanks for your advice guys. i'm thinking a bontrager ssr mtb stem ($30) + bontrager earl riser 710 mm wide with a 50 mm rise ($50). i know risers look ugly but i need it because my current handlebars are too low and hurt my back. i want the handlebar to be level with my saddle. i like sluggish steering so i don't want the earl stems (70 mm max length) which anyway may not be compatible with my hybrid.

i tested a $10 bontrager chromoly 80mm rise handlebar as an experiment before considering more expensive stuff (a compatible bontrager b-dot, 2 bolt stem for this riser is only $15). the riser was very ugly but it was much more comfortable. all trek hybrids & mtbs come stock with bars that rise 25.4 mm. i don't do jumps or drops but climb big hills and sometimes ride jittery gravel roads.

if you look at this side view, there may be torque due to the rise radius that will want to rotate the handlebar around the stem, especially when climbing a steep hill. this was just a test so i didn't *perfectly* align the handlebar 90 degree to stem. i'll get the lbs' assurance that the earl & ssr stem are a good match and that this set up is reliable.

50 mm rise or 80 mm rise are both fine. i'm only opting for the more expensive earl + ssr set up because i'm thinking its more dependable and may give me the freedom to bike on jittery, gravel roads. besides, 50 mm rise will have 37% less torque than 80 mm rise.

this is how my bike is currently configured. a 120 mm 10 degree stem will increase the reach which i want. the riser handlebar will avoid the need for a steep stem angle. everything will be done by the reputable lbs (bikeline in pennsylvania) and NOT by me. once it's set up i'll never ever tinker.