View Single Post
Old 06-04-10, 11:12 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate any comments such as above and find these comments useful.
My observations are not a scientific study made across many bikers. It is just me. However I do bike a lot. My standard exercise trail is the Sugar River Trail in Southern Wisconsin. It is 46 mile round trip, flat, bumpy, sandy in places, muddy in places and has about 15 intersections each way.
------------------------
My best time on this was 2:40 hours with the Trek Madone, 23 mm tires, 120 PSI, on a very dry summer day, on aerobars 100%.
------------------------
I tried to do the same with the Stevens Yesterday. The Stevens has 35 mm tires, 70 PSI. I did not do aerobars 100%. Perhaps 40%. The limestone trail was not firm because of heavy rain. Large holes and bumps and mud and sand slowed me down to 2:45 hours for the round trip. I think that better tires such as "meanwhile" suggests will make me meet my best time soon. The 23 mm tires are not an option. The trail would have to be very dry and well groomed to do that.
------------------------------
I hope to contribute just a little to this discussion. I have tried the Stevens with 23 mm slicks against the Madone. I have not been able to better the best time of the Madone on paved surfaces.
On bumpy trails the Madone is not a viable choice. Especially not in rain on limestone. The Stevens makes it possible with only a small penalty on paved trails.
BTW, some of my trails are limestone (30%) and bumpy pavement here in Illinois. The State has no money to fix the trails.
-------------------------------
Again, the Stevens is a fantastic touring bike for bumpy trails and I will try better tires and report back the results.
I am going to do Reedsburg, WI to Trempealeau, WI on Monday. That is 100 miles of limestone. I will do the best time I can. I have done this ride every year for 15 years.
------------------------------
The attached pictures are on pavement. Bumpy trail pictures will follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2010 MN 5..jpg (96.4 KB, 37 views)
2010 MN 2..jpg (98.1 KB, 48 views)
2010 MN 4..jpg (102.1 KB, 31 views)