Old 06-04-10, 08:32 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Electric push trailer project continued....

Mudguards/Fenders.
As you can see they dont sit right.

Next thing on the list was a paint job, I Stripped down the trailer body and gave it an undercoating of yellow emulsion before spaying it black. I painted the underside of the box and frame with a couple of thick coats of hammerite paint, this should protect it from rain and road grunge and help stop it rotting.

Painting.

The next thing I done was cut the lid off a cantilevered toolbox to make my sunken battery box, which I later painted silver. I also had to add a piece of angle iron and a small block of wood to stop the batteries sliding around.

As you may see I fitted in both of my controllers - 24V & 36V, this way I can run the trailer at 36V - Fast, until the bad battery gives out, then change a few wires over to 24V and carry on around 12/15mph. The solar panel may help keep the bad battey topped up? I dont know yet as this needs testing.

With the trailer nearly complete I sat a few of my solar panles on top of the lid to see how they'd look. Once I get them hooked up it should recharge my batteries while im on the move and give me a bit better range.

Dont know what happened?
The chain kept popping off? You tests and test on the most pot-holy of dirt tracks, aiming for every pothole you can see and your trailer doesn't bat an eye. So you paint it and tidy it up, then take it for a run on flat ground and the bloody chain keeps comming off? Grrr. I had to make up a chain tensioner.

At last its road ready (fingers crossed) and I can use it to do my shopping trips and skip hunting/dumpster diving

A Thing Of Beauty.

I still have the mudguards/fenders to fit plus add some lights (rear lights/indicators/brake light) that im waiting to arrive. I also have to figure out the wiring loom off a grip from a little electric scooter, this way I'll have all the switches at my fingertips - Lights - Indicators - Horn.

Till next time, im off on the electric.

Regards
Tom