Old 06-05-10, 06:36 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
A 5 minute delay in much worse conditions using the wider tyres? That's even better than I thought. From your description of conditions, you might want to consider 38 or 40mm tyres with some tread. As long as the tread is non-walking (ie it doesn't have the sort of rubber teeth that flex on hard surfaces) and the rubber is fast, this shouldn't slow you down more than fractionally on the road. In the Marathon Supreme series the order of tyres goes Supreme-> Dureme -> Extreme as the bias to rougher roads increases.

Also - I'm amazed that you were willing to use the aerobars at all in these conditions! Major cojones. I envy you, I've been off the bike for ages - a trapped back nerve.
You know that 5 minutes over 2:40 hours is a lot? That is over one mile at that speed. That will win or loose a race.
"billydonn" is telling me to get the Marathon Dureme. Billydonn is the studious type. I just bike. I will get those tires and will report results soon.

I am sorry to hear about your back problem. So many people have back problems.
I have been lucky I guess. I was a competitive rower while in my teens and twenties. That made for a strong back.

Aerobars are very comfortable for me. I feel safe on them including bumps and pot holes. The exception is a slippery trail like today. Did my 46 miles on limestone in a rain storm. No aerobars. Not safe. It took 3:08 hours instead of the 2:45. It was fun but very messy. I looked like a mud-puppy.