Old 06-08-10, 08:12 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
I ride quite a few gravel and dirt forest roads and sometimes don't want to take my more expensive camera with me when going to really rugged areas. That's why finding a reasonably priced, rugged point and shoot camera that has good image stabilization and can shoot HD video was a better option for me. Having this camera allows me to leave my more expensive camera at home and use this one for both videos and stills. (It's water proof and shock proof.) If having a multi-purpose camera isn't important to you, then you can ignore still picture quality (most camcorders take still photos these days).

I had camera shake with my DV camcorder and the Kodak Playsport on paved roads, including the one in this video, and gravel roads. The Olympus is the first one that doesn't have camera shake, but then it's got dual image stabilization. I use a 1/2" P clamp on the handlebars that has a long 1/4" bolt (standard size for camera mounts). The Velbon base plate screws on the bolt and the plate on the camera attaches securely when inserted into the base plate. I'll get a photo for you tomorrow. For now, here's a photo of showing the Velbon base plate that the camera clamps into (circled in red so you can't miss it).
I see. That brings up a complaint in a comparison between the Drift and Go Pro. From memory, they mention that the Go Pro lacks a standard tripod mount that prevents it from being compatible with (1) tripods and (2) lots of other mounts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZqXldNcfp4