View Single Post
Old 06-09-10, 08:15 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
I was wondering if anyone would agree that new pedals with more float might be helpful, if so would anyone have any advice on SPD compatible pedals with gratuitous amounts of float so I don't have to buy new shoes too? Am I barking up the wrong tree and float isn’t the problem?
Hard to say if new pedals will help. For a long time, I thought I had knee problems and needed a pedal with a lot of float. Turns out I just didn't have my cleats in the right place nor my seat at the right height. After getting a professional fit, I now have no problem with the same SPD pedals I used to hate...

If you want to stick with a 2-bolt cleat, try Crank Brothers or Speedplay Frogs. Crank Brothers' Smarty or Candy are similar in surface area to typical Shimano SPD pedals and provide quite a bit of float. This also means that you have to twist your heel further before they release, though. Speedplay's Frog is the MTB version of their popular free-float pedals.

If you decide to move to a road pedal and shoe, I'd add SpeedPlay and Shimano SPD-SL pedals to the mix in addition to Look Keo. I used to use Look Delta pedals on my road bike. They're nice pedals, but I honestly think the 2-sided MTB designs are easier to clip and unclip.