Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
The wobbling shouldn't be an issue because instead of going 4.5-6kms/hr you'll be going more like 10+kms/hr! I would guess your (most people who don't want to be helped like that) objections are more along the lines of "how embarrassing" more than anything. That's understandable. It's interesting that you don't see this a lot in N. America and people who ride alone a lot may be more uncomfortable with it because they are not used to riding in groups to begin with but it is very beneficial for both the strong and weaker rider. I've done a number of club rides in Europe, some with Pro level guys and it's much more common over there and it's not a big deal even for a Pro to be "helped" up a hill in the interest of keeping the group together. It's not as bad as you think Machka. Believe it or not, I've been on the receiving end myself. It got me though a bad time on a climb and kept me with the group.
It's not an embarassment thing ... I just don't like to be touched when I ride. I feel out of control if another rider so much as lays a finger anywhere on me or my bicycle. Whether it is the case or not, I feel like I'm giving over control to another cyclist and that I can no longer do what I want to do out there. I have had previous cycling partners suddenly grab my handlebars or saddle and scare me half to death, which has only made matters worse.

And for whatever reason I really tense up when a cyclist rides right behind me or right beside me when I'm climbing a hill ... which makes climbing that much more miserable than it already is. I need my space!! I do have a very large personal space bubble in general, but when I'm climbing a hill, or doing any task which I find challenging, my personal space bubble doubles or triples in size.

I'm like that when I'm working on something complicated on the computer ... I hate it when someone hovers over my shoulder and watches me in action. For me, that's the same as having someone cycling close by on a climb.