Old 04-24-05, 06:36 PM
brunning

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can't help but think about opening a bike shop...

in the williamsburg area of brooklyn.

i know it's no way to get rich, but i've been thinking about the situation for a while and there is a huge need for a good shop in the area, especially one with friendly service, some lower priced rides, and sales and service for the huge local fixie community.

there are two bike shops in the area, nyc bikes on havemeyer (just search BF to see what people think of them) and the bicycle doctor on grand street, another shop which has surly salespeople, limited selection and high prices.

otherwise, there's nothing at all. there's a tiny used bike place out in bushwick, a few po-dunk bike shops here and there and a couple of pro race shops in south brooklyn.

otherwise, people are going over the bridge to manhattan.

it strikes me that almost everyone i know either owns a bike or wants to buy one. everyone is totally turned off by the two williamsburg shops and everyone asks me where to go. i really can't give them an answer unless they want to buy new and moderately pricey bikes.

also, i can't count how many times i've been spotted by someone while locking up my SS conversion cross bike and they ask me "where can i get an old, simple bike converted to a single speed with brakes?"

i have a feeling that if there were a local shop doing decent SS conversions and selling in the $300 range, there are a lot of bikes to be sold.

i end up doing so much wrenching (typically in exchange for beer) and think that if this could translate into a real business in the neighborhood (with the help of a few talented individuals), a huge market of reasonably well-off, young and fun-loving city people is there for the taking.

how insane an idea is this?