View Single Post
Old 06-14-10, 10:40 AM
ClarkinHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This solution worked well for me:

I started with a 50-34 crank and an 11-25 cassette. Couldn't hack the hills.

I am now very happy with 105 triple crankset (30-39-50), 105 triple front derailleur, 105 brifters (fortunately the ones I had could handle either a double or a triple crankset).

In the rear I replaced the cassette with an 11-34 IRD 10-speed as mentioned earlier in this thread. They are ridiculously expensive and heavy as hell. I plan on trying out the new Shimano 10-speed 11-34 cassette (mtb) as soon as it comes available next month. XTR long cage rear derailleur.

As the frosting on the cake, I replaced the 30t ring on the crank with a 24t.

So my lowest gear is now 24/34.

It all works well together. The only thing I have to remember is to execute firm, crisp, definite shifts on the left brifter when shifting from the 24t to the 39t.

EDIT: It's such a nice setup that I duplicated it on my new touring bike that I have built from the frame up. Only deviation is that I used dura-ace bar-end shifters on the tourist.

The bar end shifters have a couple of big advantages:

Since the left shifter is friction, I quickly learned about how much pressure was required to shift out of the granny ring and now those shifts are smooth as butter (whereas with the indexed brifter there is occasionally the hint of a chain rattle if I don't hit it just right.

For night riding in the hills where I am constantly changing gears, the position of the shift levers helps me keep track of where I am gear-wise so I don't cross-chain. During daylight I can just look down, of course.

Last edited by ClarkinHawaii; 06-14-10 at 10:53 AM.