Old 06-16-10, 05:42 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you just acquired the bicycle, you may need to give your butt some more time to "break in". If it has been many years (decades?) since your last ride then you need to give your rear end some time to get used to being on a saddle again. Ride the bike as-is for at least two months. Under no circumstances should you buy a mega wide saddle or a gel cover. They are comfy at first, but once you start riding further (and as noted by PeterC) that gel will squish up into areas it shouldn't be and cause you discomfort. But then again, if a big squishy saddle is what it takes to get you out riding regularly, then go for it.

If after two months the saddle doesn't feel any better, go to bicycle shop that sells Specialized bikes. Once there, have a seat on the ass-o-meter. Yes, it's a real thing. It measures your lower pelvis where it makes contact with the saddle. Once you have that measurement they can look up a proper saddle width for you. You might be surprised to learn that the size you require could be quite narrow. Anyways, saddle choice is very personal. Just about everyone on the forums will try and force feed you a Brooks B-17 or Imperial...rectally. My saddle choice is: stock. I believe the ass is mightier than the saddle, several thousand miles later...my theory holds true.

Happy riding !