View Single Post
Old 06-16-10, 11:13 PM
Manji82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I getting in over my head?

Well, I have had the idea to ride my bicycle all the way from Minneapolis to La Plant, South Dakota. La Plant is just beyond the Missouri River.

The whole time I have been feeling very comfortable and confident about riding my mountain bike for 10 hours at a time but,

when I told my dad about it over the phone, he was like,

"This is definitely not one of your brightest ideas. You can't go that far on a bicycle. You could barely do 50 miles in one day! You have no experience riding long distance."

When I heard his words, plus the bad luck I have had with flats, it bruised my confidence a bit. What do you guys think? Is it a real tough challenge to ride a bicycle for ten hours? Is it just too unrealistic?

I have converted my bicycle into an E Bike but, the battery is cheap so, it is a very heavy SLA battery. I just went to the local grocery store without the battery strapped to the rear bike rack and, I felt a total difference! Weight does matter. I felt like I could fly with just my two legs without the heavy bulky battery.

The battery only has 15 miles on it at 20 miles per hour but, I am sure that is not enough for a 127 mile trip. Well, weather if it is possible to ride a bicycle for ten hours and make it to one of my destinations on time, I guess I wont know till I try.

I guess in the least sense, I can try thirty miles to test myself. Surely Thirty miles in one day is very very doable. No problem.

Well, if anyone could be so kind to share some tips, I would greatly appreciate it.