Old 06-17-10, 07:53 AM
JordanD

Bikes: '89 Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too Much of a Clyde for 27" wheels

Sorry folks, I know I'm really only around here when I have a problem.

I have a beautiful vintage Panasonic touring bike with 27" wheels that I absolutely love. The problem is that I am 260, and sometimes carry up to 30 lbs in my panniers on my 12 mile commute which has to cover a few poorly maintained roads. With the rear wheel on the bike when I bought it, I was breaking a spoke or two per week. I went to my LBS, and they got me a double walled rim and assured me it was the strongest wheel they could give me for a 27". Since then, for the last two months I have had to have my rear wheel trued at least once a week, sometimes more. The guys at my LBS are great stand-up guys and have trued my wheel for me more than 10 times for free, but it's a major annoyance for me.

So, I'm going to get some bonus money at work, and I can sell the Panasonic and come up with perhaps $600. I am looking for a new commuter with a more modern wheel size that would give me more options. The Panasonic has spoiled me and I don't want to go back to a mountain or hybrid bike. I want road/touring geometry and drops or at least bullhorns. I am really interested in the Redline 925, but I am not sure if I am ready to give up all my gears (the ride is pretty flat, but I do like to go fast).

Is there something else I should try with the rear wheel that I haven't yet? Any ideas for a good STRONG road-oriented commuter under $600?