chinarider
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Depends on the suspension within the bike. I have a bike that will absord road shock with the Aksiums (The lightweight Ally Boreas) but the Aksiums make the TCR-C a bit skittish. They are too stiff for the frame with my lightweight. I got the TCR to ride well with the CXP33's with 105 hubs and I dare say the Open Pros with 105 or Ultegra hubs would work the same- Providing the Lacing is X2 or X3.

But the Aksiums are now on the FCR. A stiff ally frame. Don't know what it is about the TCR but it just does not like the Aksiums.

EDIT---The CXP's give a good ride for me on all my bikes. Boreas runs with Ultegra wheels which are low spoke count straight pull spokes. (radial spokes) They are as stiff as the Aksiums but do give a better ride. And I run 700 x 23 Michelin PR 3 tyres on all my wheels so can't put it down to tyre either.
Now I'm totally confused. Don't have the comparisons to determine whether my bike would be considered stiff or not, but I rather doubt it as it's a "relaxed geometry" aluminum bike w/ carbon fork & seatpost. I run 25 tires. The Aksiums appear a little lighter & cheaper than the others, perhaps more aero as well with the lower spoke count. I'm mainly looking to get a little lighter, better performing wheelset than the stock Alex wheels that came w/ my bike. They now have over 7,000 miles on them. On the other hand, maybe I should just stay with them as they have been virtually trouble free. Many would say I won't notice the difference anyway.

Last edited by chinarider; 06-17-10 at 08:11 PM.