Old 06-18-10, 10:05 AM
NoGaBiker
But wait... I AM the man.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
It's not a bad idea. When I was thinking about using my road bike to ride from SF to LA, I strapped all of my gear to the bike... and found that I really didn't like the way it handled with the additional weight placed in the areas my luggage (Lone Peak bar bag, Carradice seat bag) allowed. I didn't want to tow a trailer, so I ended up building a cheap touring bike based on the Nashbar frame. If you are willing to consider a trailer, it neatly solves a number of problems, though.
Only thing I would caution you about: I have a BOB trailer and while it disappears behind my touring bikes, I did hook it up to a racing bike and even with only 20 pounds on back it was VERY noticeable and seemed to be pushing the bike around. It was kinda scary. Don't get that at all with my touring and commuter bikes, which have longer wheelbases and are heavier. Well, I've gotten that feeling with the LHT, but only with over sixty pounds of groceries on it. So try out a loaded trailer on the bike you are going to use before deciding on it.