View Single Post
Old 06-18-10, 03:27 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Considering that there are steel frames from the early 1900's that are still as solid as the day they were made, and predate the packaging of framesaver by a long period.
Yep! The question you have to ask yourself is: if you bought a steel bicycle today would it be manufactured in the same manner as an early 1900's bicycle?

The answer, of course, is 'No'. I'm currently restoring a 1970's steel Schwinn cruiser. The tubes are literally 5-10X thicker on that bike than a modern steel bike. There's a lot of steel there! And it doesn't hurt that the manufacturing tolerances are such that it's virtually impossible for the frame to trap moisture. Still, there's quite a bit of rust on the inside of all the tubes; at least the ones that I can easily examine. Does it worry me? Not given the thickness of the tubes. But if the tubes were as thin as they are on modern steel bikes? I'd be a lot more worried about rust, proper frame prep & maintenance, etc.