View Single Post
Old 06-18-10, 08:21 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Familiar with those options. I'd just think lots more was being done these days, considering UL innovations along with carbon/aero/suspension/lighting advances in making a fast, comfy, versatile bike.

Pactour has been running from before the UL movement. The ultra-rando scene also seems to have boomed since Pactour started.

Lon H has mentioned to me that longdistance fast self-supported touring is unwise. I'm not convinced, though, of course he should know!

He may have even said/suggested that one can do 100 mi's a day on their own, but that 150 mi/day really needs help and support -- which is what Pactour attempts, from what I know.

Still, it seems that folks in the UL and biketech scenes simply wouldn't take No for an answer. For instance, folks could ride together and do mutual support. The buddy system! A major innovator in the UL said that the buddy system was a big cause to promote, for him. UL is social! There's no rules here. People could draft. They could use tandems.

Lastly, self-supported touring at any pace could be cheaper, couldn't it?