Old 06-19-10, 04:55 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
You have some of the specs mixed up. Both are steel frame bikes. Tange 5 is not aluminum. And the Apollo has steel rims (ugh!)

The Apollo has some decent features, like a pretty decent frame and some Deore parts. But the wheels are crap. So overall, the Araya is likely the best bike of the two, given the limited information.

5-10 with 33 1/2 stand over is a big frame.

Myself, as long as they are priced like I see at thrift stores, I am grabbing them both. I pretty much get every road bike with a decent frame (anything but high ten steel) at a thrift store, even if it has steel rims. I will pick up high ten steel frame bikes, if they have alloy rims.

I don't worry about front rack mounts, there are plenty of work arounds for this minor issue.

Shimano shifting system really means nothing grade wise. Go to Walmart, and most of the bikes have Shimano shifting system. Shimano makes a number of grades of components, from bottom of the line to top of the line. But again, at a thrift store price, it doesn't matter.

Depending on condition, I am probably taking the best parts off the Araya and putting them on the Apollo. But I would need to see pics of the bikes to make that decision.

Often bikes I pick up at thrift stores are missing a couple of parts, have some minor problems or whatever. So picking up TWO to end up with ONE is not unusual. And you can always merge the leftover parts, and resell the bike you do not want.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-19-10 at 05:02 PM.