View Single Post
Old 06-21-10, 01:26 AM
warwick.hoy

Bikes: Some old Phillips I'm looking for info on. Hopefully a Marin Hybrid sometime soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Commuter in Spokane WA

Hey All,...

My name is James.

Well I must say this is a very impressive forum,....lots of subforums to go through but seeing as I just registered I figured my 1st post ought to be an intro post of sorts.

I've been on the hunt for a good commuter bike and posted a thread on a different; non bike related forum that I frequent and this site popped up over the course of that discussion. Tonight I bought a bike. It's a fixer upper but I'll save that for the appropriate thread.

A little about myself,....well I'm growing a little disenfranchised with the current fossil fuels (and especially the Gulf) situation and figured since I work about 1.5 miles from where I live I should start riding a bike to work,...or at least walk. While I could feasibly walk to work riding a bike to work would be a good compromise between not driving and sleeping in till the last possible minute. I looked at what was affordable as an new entry level and well there were a few bikes that caught my attention; I grew impatient and decided to pick up something serviceable from CL.

I have a wife who also works quite close to home and I'm hoping to get her into cycling as well although she is resistant of any vehicle that she has to be in control of. She is a receptionist at a non-profit mental health agency. She too loves her job, but she also does lots of other cool things. She is a retired (not intentionally) glass artist, she makes hoola hoops, her own salves, balms and hand cremes. She and a friend are really into apiary as well (beekeeping) and they keep a small hive out at the friends property. I'm amazed at the health and vitality of all the plants on their property thanks to the bees. They are way cool

I'm a cook at a lunch cafe called TASTE. My boss is delightfully English and is really awesome which makes a normally mundane job very enjoyable. I don't make much but she fits me in so I can get as many hours as possible.

I also play bass guitar in a few bands around town but the gigs are slowing down. It's difficult in this town to maintain a practice studio without angering the neighbors as well as working to pay the bills and not finding much time to write, so it just takes time to get a set together before hitting the stage. I play a little guitar as well but that's just for personal enrichment. I have a dangerous addiction to Effects Pedals (I could probably sell my collection of pedals and finance a good bike) and off the wall instruments (didji, Tibetan singing bowls,...thumb piano). I love music of all types, bands like Radiohead, Umphrey's McGee, Phish, STS9, Nerve, I could go on all night .

I love canoeing and am trying more and more to get into the outdoors which. I don't do much TV although I watch a lot of Ice Hockey. My immediate family hails from the Philadelphia area so my team is the Flyers who had an exciting run but fell short for the Stanley Cup. Movies are kinda tired these days too but I know a good one when I see one.

Anyway,...that's me in a nutshell,...thanks for reading (sorry if it's TL;DR) and thanks to all the Mods and Admins that make this wonderful site possible,...see you on the boards.

Last edited by warwick.hoy; 06-21-10 at 02:14 AM.