View Single Post
Old 06-22-10, 11:34 PM
warwick.hoy

Bikes: Some old Phillips I'm looking for info on. Hopefully a Marin Hybrid sometime soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fir
Welcome, James!
All sounds good, and so happy to hear that out of the horrible catastrophe in the Gulf, someone is willing to give up or reduce car commuting. I would echo one other poster who wondered why you need a commuter if you have a pretty vintage 3 spd? but perhaps you have big hills there. It's pretty flat here.

I used to think the old 3 speeds weren't really serious bikes. I think that is because in the old days we only got to drive old clapped out ladies models (what teenage boy wants to drive a "ladies model"?) and they didnt have a racy image back then, etc. But recently I had an eye opening experience: I timed my commute and discovered my 3 speed Sports was statistically as fast as my lightweight aluminum Scott Mtnbike over the 6 km. Statistically meaning I dont have a decent second hand on my watch... But you can certainly find a lighter bike with more sophisticated componentry on the other hand.

anyway, happy trails!
Thanks for the welcoming words. My commute is short but consists of a slight grade at the end of the return trip; it's a coast to start out with on the way in =D. I tried it out for the first time today and it was slow going on the way back. I definitely need a lower gear for that grade. There are even steeper hills heading north and south but they aren't on my regular commute. For the moment the Phillips will do.

Originally Posted by 7speed
James, I recommend you try a full-size guitar.

:-)

(Ha, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to use a favorite joke.)
Grrrroooooaaaaan,....=D

Have you come across this blog: http://cyclingspokane.blogspot.com/

It's pretty good. I read it regularly and I've never even been to Washington!
I have yet to peruse that blog but I definitely will. The cycling community is thriving in Spokane. The car dominates but there are still commuters. I have a coworker that rides her bike to work which was sort of an inspiration for me to ride to work. Considering my commute is short it only makes sense. I don't have to pay for parking (10 bucks a week) that's less gas use and wear and tear on my car.

There is something for everybody here,...a 37 mile long paved trail (as well as another paved trail that I'm unfamiliar with),...off road areas for MTBing. There's the FBC (*ing Bike Club,....sorry I know this is a family friendly site,...I didn't name it.) Which is a large group of people who meet up and bar hop on their bikes. I see a lot of really expensive road bikes and people in spandex. They always seem to meat up after rides at a pub in my neighborhood.

We also have a really great non-profit called Pedals 2 People. I thought about buying a bike from them but decided to leave that for someone less fortunate than I. I will support them by donating some stand time and a chance to further learn the ins and outs of my bike,...(so far I've been doing the work myself but I'd like to rebuild the hub and do some more intermediate work).

On the flip side,...I went out on a casual ride downtown and was yelled at by some yokels in a red pickup (I've owned my bike for 48 hours and I'm already getting cat called by rednecks). I guess I should grow a thick skin, spend some time educating myself as to etiquette and local laws and then throw them out the window since I and my fellow cyclists will be the only ones aware of them (pardon my cynicism but part of the reason I'm biking to work is because most people in this town don't drive well).

This is a wonderful and welcoming site. Seems like cyclists are a quirky bunch so I should fit right in. =p

Thank you guys for the warm welcome.

Last edited by warwick.hoy; 06-23-10 at 02:22 AM.