ZOINKS
triple chainring club

Bikes: 2010 KONA PH.D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 KONA PH.D -- Review w/ pictures

WOW what a ride!! I have yet to see another one like it anywhere I go; and I believe I may be one of the first reviewers of this breed. Let's start w/ some basic facts about the bike:

7005 Aluminum frame (60 cm) w/ internal cable routing for brakes & Carbon fork
Mavic Aksium 700c wheelset paired w/ 23mm Continental UltraSport tires
Shimano Ultegra RD paired w/ Shimano 105 freewheel (12-25, 10spd)
Shimano R773 Triple FD paired w/ FSA Gossamer (52/39/30)
Shimano SL-R770 10-speed shifters
Avid SD-5 brakes & FR-5 levers
It came w/ Shimano A520 clipless, but I ditched them for platforms.
The full spec sheet can be found here: http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=phd

The only other modern bicycle I can compare this to is a 2009 Trek 7.5 FX which I owned for about 8 months before it was stolen. The 7.5 FX is a truly awesome bike, but I think this Kona might edge it out performance wise (on the road at least). The Ultegra/105 drivetrain on the Kona is super smooth and lightening quick; even more refined than the Deore setup on the FX which is really good too. I think part of the smoothness feeling has to do with running a 12-25, 10spd vs. the FX gearing of 11-26, 9spd; the gaps between gears are much less noticeable on the 10spd. While were on the subject of 10spd, the 10-speed flat bar shifters are the best in the biz, IMO. They are ridiculously accurate and will fly through gears as fast as you can move your fingers. No complaints about acceleration or traction, the 23mm tires build up speed quickly. I've hit 40 mph on a steep short (1 block) residential hill in Queens, and would have kept accelerating if I didn't run out of road (pedaling very hard in 52x12). I'm not sure I really want to go faster than that; especially on this particular hill with some hidden driveways and a stop sign at the bottom, I could feel my rear wheel come off the ground under hard breaking. And while the tires like to go fast they certainly don't appreciate being taken off-road like the 32s that came w/ the Trek. You definitely lose some versatility when riding on 23mm tires. I stick most to paved surfaces so it hasn't been too big of an issue as of yet. The Avid 5 brakes are rock solid, however I only ride in nice weather and avoid all things wet. I'm not a commuter; this bike is strictly ridden for recreational purposes. The steering is responsive and pretty light, which is expected for a bike that is fairly light on its own. I have not weighed it yet but it "feels" as light as or maybe even slightly lighter than the 7.5 FX. I realize this isn't a totally fair "apples-to-apples" comparison because the Phd does cost more $$ than the 7.5, but they are similar bikes nonetheless.

Overall I am very pleased with the Kona Phd and the components it came with. Comparing similar bikes from other brands within this price range, I feel that Kona gives you a great bang for your buck. The pearl white hydroformed frame w/ the internal cable is ascetically pleasing to my eye. (I like white bikes) I don't see myself doing too many modifications to this bike beyond removing some headset spacers and maybe flipping the stem. Possibly add some Ergo bar ends and some white pedals for the bling factor. Beyond that, this bike should provide me with many miles of enjoyment (150 miles so far). I hope you enjoyed my review. I welcome all comments and would be happy to answer any questions I can about the bike.

And last but not least, the pictures!!!! (sorry no garage door pic yet)

Last edited by ZOINKS; 06-23-10 at 10:22 AM.