View Single Post
Old 06-24-10, 09:31 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I'd go for it. What is the most negative thing that could happen? But I'm an advocate for sometimes picking a goal that you think is slightly out of your reach just to show that you're still capable of growth. The last few months I've been thinking a great deal about the things in my life that I wished I had "gone of it" but didn't. You can't get those back. IMHO too many people are afraid of failure. I think it's important to "know you limits, and then try to stretch them. That means at times you are going to come short of your goals, but so what? You gave it a shot. If I didn't think this way, I would never have married the wonderful woman I share my life with and who is the mother of my two sons; I never would have completed graduate school; I never would have earned a third degree black belt in Shotokan Karate, I never would have tired my first century. You sound like someone who knows a bit about your limitations. So, now the real question is, do you feel like stretching them?
Ditto-you're not going to truly know your limit until you get there. If you do get in over you head don't feel bad about it one bit. You will know where and what you need to work on and can feel good about going to your limit. You may find you have more capacity than you think and will feel the exhiliration of taking on something bigger than you thought you could. Plus, next year you'll smile as the ride will be so much easier.