View Single Post
Old 06-24-10, 02:05 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CPFITNESS
would love to see the after pics of your sons bike, I'm thinking of doing some simple paintwork on my nishiki
Hi OPFITNESS, as requested, photos of the brush painted Coventry Eagle after rust treatment and brush painting over original paintwork. I painted around the decals. In this case, the idea was to produce a sound finish but to retain a dilapidated, low value, urban distressed appearance in an effort to discourage the bike thieves of London. Hence the "daubed over" down tube decals - I've got a pair of crisp new ones ready to fit later on. Build was a pair on "nut on" Vuelta wheels on Shimano hubs - (no QR's the thieves will have to bring spanners!), Sakae chain set, Rolf Vector saddle with insulating tape disguise, Weinmann side pull brakes with new pads, Original Simplex gears with Huret old style levers, Holdsworth "Allez" bars, scratched up quill stem, Shimano brake levers and Ritchey seat post, black paint removed. The Colnago tape was all I could find in the workshop at the time of building but I don't think anyone would make the obvious mistake! Mudguards (fenders) are a deliberately-selected old pair of German touring guards that have seen many miles on a variety of bikes and add to the overall "tired" appearance. Despite appearances it rides like a dream! I used a 1/2" soft bristle artist's brush and the whole paint job took just 20 minutes and a couple of hours to dry. Paint was a small jar of 'Plasticote' Midnight blue metallic (Cost - £4.55 GB Pounds) and I used less than a third of the jar. I'd have liked to make it look good, but we don't want this one going the way of his last one in London, the bike theft capital of the World. Despite Sheffield bike rails and High security D locks, one bike is stolen and not recovered every 90 seconds - and the Police don't even investigate ot prosecute, just issue a warning on the rare occasions when a thief is caught.