Old 06-25-10, 08:49 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There were 3 decommissioned aircraft carriers in the port. One was the famous Kitty Hawk, which you can see poking over the top of this ship; this one has the name painted out, I think. I found a website that says the Independence and the Constellation also are tied up in Bremerton - don't know which this might be.

In this photo, I'm leaving town on a four-lane divided highway. Not pleasant, but pretty good shoulders, so it felt safe. That only lasted about 5 miles before I got onto much quieter roads.

One of my hobbies is collecting useless quotation marks -- got some here, at Belfair State Park.

Most of the first 30 miles or so were like this -- gentle highway, close to flat, along the Hood Canal. Not many people around -- once I got 15 miles or so outside of Bremerton, I think a lot of these are 2nd homes and vacation cottages.

"You're not from around here, are you?"

This was mounted on a house:

At the tip of the peninsula, one arrives at Tahuya. This is the mouth of the Tahuya River -- big flat marshes and mudflats.

I then headed inland, on really, really quiet roads climbing up the interior of the peninsula. A lot of chipseal roads, but blissfully free of traffic.

Got into some rolling hills -- some were pretty steep. The interesting thing about riding in the "lowlands" around Puget Sound -- the islands and peninsula -- is that there are no really big mountains to climb but frequently lots of rollers, some of which can be quite steep. This ride had a couple of climbs that were a few miles long, and a few steep hills, but overall it wasn't a killer.

After some climbing, and wicked-fast descent, I ended up on the north side of the peninsula, at a place called Dewatto Bay.

There was an old concrete building (abandoned restaurant?), where evidently kids hang out and party. Got this apocalyptic shot of my bike:

Most of the peninsula was second-growth forest (all the old growth timber was cut down years ago), interspersed with new clear-cut areas. From what I understand, when hillsides like this are clear-cut to this extent, the mud, silt and dirt runs off an clogs the nearby stream, putting a real dent in the wild salmon population. I recently read the the classic book on the decline of wild salmon in the Pacific Northwest, called "Mountain in the Clouds:" http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Cloud...7521697&sr=8-1

(edit: I read after I got home that wild salmon are now extinct in the Tahuya River; there's a group trying to restore salmon to the habitat by transplanting eggs from the nearby Union River: http://www.hcseg.org/x103.xml )

Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-26-10 at 10:26 AM.