View Single Post
Old 06-25-10, 10:30 PM
Abacus
Decrepit Member

Bikes: 2003 Trek 520, 1996 Trek 370, 1996 Bianchi Osprey, too many others.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly 4130 or Tange #1

OK, I have a dilemma.

I have a brand new Surly Pacer frame hanging on my wall, ready to be built up. I bought it as a boxed complete bike a few months ago, but decided I didn't like the color So it's just been hanging there while I decide whether to have it re-powder coated or not. I haven't even got around to fitting the star nut.

Just recently a mid 80's lugged steel frame has come up, and being the retro grouch that I am, it has attracted my attention. The original manufacturer's make and model decals are gone, but it is Tange No 1 tubing. I'm guessing it's a Japanese something-or-other. I don't believe its a 70's or early 80's frame because it's built for 700C wheels, not 27" It has a bit of surface rust, and if I buy it I will have it stripped and powder coated. I would sell the Pacer frame.

So, all things being equal, with size, geometry, etc, what would be the better ride - a bike built with Surly's 4130 or a bike built with Tange No 1? We are not talking Tange Prestige here, were talking about the best of Tange's second rung range.