View Single Post
Old 06-26-10, 01:35 PM
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spooner
The 'critical mass' is an interesting idea. What would it be like for 20+ riders rolling across country together?

I wonder if after a few days it would end up being 4-5 groups of 4 or 5 people. Everyone kind of falling into a group that fits their speed and riding style.
I imagine it would, supported rides tend to do this, everyone finds the group that fits their pace and cycling style and then they all meet up in the evening. Last one I did (long ago) we had several distinct groups, the "first ins" that pushed the pace every day and always completed the days ride first. The "lunch crowd" more concerned about where they would eat next than anything. The 'family group", just what it says, a family on vacation together speed dictated by the youngest rider. then we had the pair of old ladies that finished the whole 300 mile+ route on upright three speed bikes, they were always last in, and the solo older rider that was usually in just behind the "first ins" he didn't ride near as fast, probably averaged 17 miles per hour, but he never stopped all day long, just slow and steady.