hoodlum
Industrial Strength BS

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, QR Kilo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
Maybe, but those guys and gals make some extreme sacrifices. The top money for the World Championship is only $100,000. The other races are even less. Even if Norman Stadler or Peter Reid won every race they entered, they would not be sitting pretty. And sponsors don't pay a lot of money either. Faris Al-Sultan (just won IM Arizona) is sponsored by Cannondale. I think they give him something like $4,000 per year and two frames (not bikes...frames). I'm not sure if I have that 100% correct but I'm pretty close.
!
I agree 100%. But all of the Pros, even local Pros here in NC, find a way to make a living out of the sport. Maybe not get rich, but make a living. Yes, they coach, work in the LBS, do a variety of things to make ends meet. What they don't do is deal with the pressure of keeping 75 people employed, making a small business profitable, dealing with customers and employees, and working until 7 or 8 o'clock at night and then going home to run or ride the trainer so you can get a workout in for the day. I'm not disrespecting them here, I think those guys are amazing. I just think about all of us who do our assorted jobs and keep the country running and allow them to compete in a sport for a living. I envy the time they have to work out. I guess we all make our choices, and most of us chose the "normal" life of earn money at work, spend it on hobbys. I see Pro triathletes like rock stars in a way- for every one that makes it, there are thousands who are convinced they can, and they're all at home practicing.

Sorry for the rant.