View Single Post
Old 04-26-05, 11:15 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
BIC pens? A myth. Not a single bike has ever been conclusively proven to have been stolen with this method. No crook is going to waste time, down on his hands and knees, fiddling with a bunch of pens to find out which one works on a particular lock. Not when he can open that lock faster with his basic tool set.
Actually I'm calling shenaniegans on this one. You have no way of proving that no bike has ever been stolen using a BiC pen because the theives RARELY LEAVE THE LOCK. Why leave evidence at the scene? Especially when you can ride for a few blocks and ditch the incriminating evidence in a trash can far away from the actual crime scene.
The BiC pen IS a threat in as much as the general public knows about it and the average jerk on the street can easily get a disposable pen. If questioned the guy only needs to respond "I lost my key and I heard about this on the internet.

The BiC pen may not be the professional's method of choice, but any crackhead can get a BiC pen