View Single Post
Old 07-02-10, 03:34 PM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by daven1986
So I'm getting REALLY fed up with **** drivers cutting me off, buzzing me, driving dangerously, and being generally ******** and I am getting very frustrated that there is NOTHING I can do to stop it.
Daven
So how would you all deal with this situation?

I want some ideas about how to just take it easy on my ride - maybe I'm in too much of a hurry...

Unless you are in a particularly bad area, it's likely that you are, even tho' you're riding safely and within the law, making some minor errors of positioning and anticipation. This may make me sound a bit superior and po-faced, but if it's happening frequently, then you can reduce the frequency by adopting the habits of assertive, but not agressive, riding.

A good start would be to get hold of Cyclecraft, by John Franklin, pub. The Stationery Office - about £12.99. or cheaper on http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...fix=Cyclecraft

I won't pretend that riding according to the ideas in that book will remove all possiblities that buzzing, hooking, etc., but it would go a long way towards it. Broadly speaking, take the lane when necessary, i.e. to prevent drivers overtaking you when there isn't enough room, ride in the nearside wheel track position and please learn to read drivers' intentions by their facial expressions, where visible, by their position on the road, vis-a-vis the layout of the road in the immediate vicinity. etc.

The new national standard bikeability programme can also be useful. It's not just for kids, so if you want to read about it and the availability of courses in your neck of the woods, go to http://www.bikeability.org.uk/what_i...y_near_you.php

Try analysing the circumstances in which you have had problems with drivers behaviour and see if there are any common denominators.

But, seriously, get hold of Cyclecraft - it should provide answers for pretty much all your questions. Good luck and safe cycling