View Single Post
Old 07-02-10, 07:53 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
GMR/GRR status (July 4 weekend)?

Does anybody know anything about official status of GMR and GRR this weekend? I rode up this morning from Glendora to the village (and on to the ski lift). The gate was closed at the bottom of GMR, and the lower gate on GMR was closed, but the upper one was open with "road closed, no outlet" signs. They generally close the road for the 4th of july weekend, so it's very nice to ride up then.

When we went to ride back down, a ranger who was coming out turned around and told us he'd have to cite us if we went past the signs. We chatted with him for a while, and he was very polite and pleasant, but firm about it. Normally in the past 10-12 years that I've been riding it, when the road is closed (even on July 4 weekend) it's been open to cyclists unless the whole forest or section of the forest is closed. As far as I can tell, that area is open (they're having events up on baldy, and there's nothing about being closed to hikers), but there's nothing at all about road closures posted on the forest service web site. And it's unusual for them to chase cyclists off those roads unless there's major washouts or a lot of construction going on (and in those cases they've had the lightup sign at the bottom say "closed to peds, equestrians, and cyclists".

Anybody seen any official memos/postings?