Thread: Walk Score
View Single Post
Old 07-06-10, 08:14 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I am still in a 2 range at the farm, which is really about right when you consider that there is no place to walk except in the ditch to get to and from the stores. My in town location has a walk score of 72 which isn't too bad, but they consider the stop and robs ("convenience" stores) grocery stores, which they most definitely are not unless you live on energy drinks, beer, cigarettes, beanie weenies and lottery tickets.

About taking back the streets...community policing, which includes neighbors looking out for neighbors and being visible, as well as strong enforcement of building codes and property maintenance is proven to make a community more people friendly and keep crime down. Unfortunately when you have a large number of absentee/slum lords owning houses in a given area it is very difficult to make headway, quite often the owners are the local politicians. I fought this battle for several years in one neighborhood I lived in.

Aaron
Once we start talking about common experience like your post we see a gap between reality and theory. Your concerns and observations sound much like the major thrust of the last Green Goalition meeting I attended. One pet peave one of the attendees had was shopping carts and truck parking on side streets.

But I still feel that being able to walk to the places you normally go should hold more weight than if there are cars on the road. But then maybe they are saying a neighborhood is walkable simply because people walk there and like akohekohe's area even if they could walk many don't?