folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Help Us! Bring Back The Bicycle!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/24/beijing-cycling-capital-plans

Apparently even China is not immune to the "blessings" that the heavy private motor vehicle use brings with it. Here is an article on going back twenty years for them.

Yet can they actually return to bikes?:

'....But despite unhappiness about driving, there was scepticism about the likelihood of a return of Beijing's bicycle culture.

"Fewer and fewer of my friends ride bicycles, but the interesting thing is they don't drive cars either," said Jiamin Zhao, an internet entrepreneur who still cycles his child to school each morning. "Some people are tired of driving. More are taking the subway or taxis...."

Or is this the more likely scenario:

"....I don't think they are serious about promoting bicycles. It's much easier to buy and own a car in Beijing than Shanghai," said Chen Ying, a language teacher who owns two cars. "When I started driving 10 years ago, it was something special because not many people had cars then, but now everyone has one and the traffic is terrible. If they really want me to use a bicycle, they should build clean and safe bicycle lanes. At the moment, the roads are dangerous and too smelly...."

You decide.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 07-06-10 at 10:28 AM.