View Single Post
Old 07-10-10, 07:06 PM
solbey11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Aluminum Frame Issue?

Hey everyone, I have a 2008 Trek 1.5 road bike. It's one of their intro road bikes with an aluminum frame. I have about 1700 miles on it to this point.

Here's my concern. I was cleaning it today and I found a dent in the bottom of the seat tube. It's a few inches below the front derailleur clamp and a few inches above the bottom bracket and it's on the crank side. I never noticed it before so I have no idea if it was there before or not. I did go from a standard crank to a compact months ago but the work was completed by my LBS which is where I bought it new. And the old clamp location was further above the clamp now and the dent is below that. There is no scratches and no paint chips.

It's not that big of a dent, but you can definiately feel it by hand and you can see it in direct light (kinda like a ding on your car fender). Should I be concerned about this? Do you think it's a defect in the frame? I never crashed the bike and the position that it is in seems inpossible for it to be something I did. It's protected by the derailleur and the crank.

Anybody heard of this before or am I worrying over nothing?