View Single Post
Old 04-29-05, 10:35 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Dnvr always has sound advice and will play off his goals suggestions.

I've found it very helpful to set some goals as well and do a pretty decent job of tracking my activity. One of the most helpful things to me getting started was setting a goal or target to ride to a predetermined spot, town, etc. I would even reward myself with a snack after getting there!! The only way to get back was to ride back.......I still use that today to change my routes and see different areas around me--I've just pushed the radius out by quite a few miles.

I may have overdone it but I know how many miles, times, avg speed, heart rate, etc I've ridden on each of my rides since I started. By doing that, I'm able to not only set more reasonable goals, but just as importantly chart my progress-which continues to be slow and steady!! Seeing my progress has been a big and ongoing motivator in itself.

It's not something I intended to do when I first set out like yourself, but has evolved over time.

As far as the nutrition-bananas are my snack of choice on rides. I've used the glucose tablets and they're okay but quit using them for various reasons. I do use gel packs on 100 mile rides but find if I've eaten properly leading up to the events I generally don't need them that much. However, they seen to provide me more of a mental boost or safety net and I'll use them if I'm well into a ride and know there's a long/challenging climb facing me.

Just do what your body tells you and what seems to come natural. You'll find what will work best for you. The key is to just enjoy getting out and riding. Like many others of us, including myself, before long you'll start debating the merits of 105's, Ultegra, DuraAce, Campy, Ksyriums and on and on. It's a disease I tell you.......but a really good one to have!!!

Keep in touch! You'll find there is a terrific support group here!!