Old 07-15-10, 08:51 PM
DoubleTap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I just don't buy the message that you're trying to convey with the numbers. While they may be accurate, I observe that when I'm downtown on my commute, I am in a significant minority. So while cyclists may be roughly just less than half of the motoring population, that's little consolation when a cyclist is on a road with hundreds of automobiles. I'd prefer we have a good relationship with the driving population instead of antagonizing them.

The article linked in this thread is indication that we're not doing ourselves any favors as cyclists, and my point is that we could and should do better. The militant attitude of many cyclists is going to hurt us in the long run if we don't encourage our fellow riders to be more courteous.

And from my discussions with many bicycle owners, there's a lot of those 1.2 million who would vote in favor of the motorists. They're casual riders, mountain bikers, burley pullers, etc. who don't like the roadies who blow past them at 20+ on the MUP without announcing themselves or don't move over to allow traffic by on crowded mountain roads.

I'm never embarrassed to tell people I drive an automobile. There are many times I don't offer that I'm an avid road cyclist, because it will automatically start a debate about why we're all such a bunch of jerks.