Old 07-17-10, 11:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleTap
Sorry, I just don't buy the message that you're trying to convey with the numbers. While they may be accurate, I observe that when I'm downtown on my commute, I am in a significant minority. So while cyclists may be roughly just less than half of the motoring population, that's little consolation when a cyclist is on a road with hundreds of automobiles. I'd prefer we have a good relationship with the driving population instead of antagonizing them.
I've ridden enough in Downtown to observe that the number of cyclists is very close to that of the number of cars...depending on location and on time of day. There are literally thousands of daily users on Cherry Creek. Denver certainly has many more bicycle commuters than out in the suburbs.

My point on numbers is that any attempt to ban bicycles in this state would meet with some serious opposition from both bicyclists and from the small businesses that support bicycling. Do a Google Map search of bicycles in Colorado. The map is just covered with red dots. 3 million bicycles in the state represents a very large economic block.

The article linked in this thread is indication that we're not doing ourselves any favors as cyclists, and my point is that we could and should do better. The militant attitude of many cyclists is going to hurt us in the long run if we don't encourage our fellow riders to be more courteous.
I think you are missing my point. I've never said, nor will I ever say, that bicycles are above the law. I want everyone to follow the rules of the road...bicycles and motorists. I've fought this fight for ages but to no avail. I recognize that being militant does nothing for our activity. But taking the attitude that we should always defer to motorists isn't going to get us anywhere either.

And from my discussions with many bicycle owners, there's a lot of those 1.2 million who would vote in favor of the motorists. They're casual riders, mountain bikers, burley pullers, etc. who don't like the roadies who blow past them at 20+ on the MUP without announcing themselves or don't move over to allow traffic by on crowded mountain roads.
While there are jerks out there, there are some reasons for that. MUPs are a good example. I announce but you'd be amazed at the number of clueless riders are out there. I can't...and won't...wait when passing someone for them to acknowledge my announcement. I call out 'On your left' once and then pass. If someone is so clueless as to not listen, that's their problem.

Mountain roads are another place where it's not so cut and dried. Motorists are required to pass slower vehicles only when it is safe to do so. As the overtaking vehicle, they have the responsibility to proceed with caution and slow if necessary. As the vehicle being overtaken, I don't have to get off the road for each motorist that passes me. I also don't have to jump off the road when they approach and will pull over when it is safe for me to do so. This attitude of motorist that 'cyclists should get the hell out of my way' is part of their problem with other road users.

I'm never embarrassed to tell people I drive an automobile. There are many times I don't offer that I'm an avid road cyclist, because it will automatically start a debate about why we're all such a bunch of jerks.
Why don't you bring up that motorists are a bunch of jerks? Everyone of them is just as much of a jerk as everyone of bicyclists. Obviously there are law-abiding motorists just as there are law-abiding bicyclists. You don't apologize for the jerks behind the wheel, why apologize for the jerks that pedal bicycles? Perhaps you should point that out next time someone upbraids you for the actions of bicyclists whose actions you don't endorse. You are not your bother's keeper.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!