Old 04-29-05, 02:41 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Do you think this bike frame is solid.?

My fourth bike is sort of shared with my wife..But she rides so infrequently..Often use this hybrid at night for errands about town,since has like 35 mm tires and solid frame.
A Nishki hybrid..So, wonder if my wife did it on purpose..Several months ago my wife backed into this bike and washing machine..Put a new curve on the seat stays..a gentle kinds of curve, not a mangled mess...By the looks of the washing machine ..Amazing that is all the bikes' damage..So took it to frame people..They did not want to handle it..If did charged like $700 to put on a new frame .Said would not trust the frame..Would not reshape it.
Anyway, my work partner..He loves to work on cars, mechanical stuff...He says Cromoly is pliable and a strong material..Disagrees with this frame shop.
So he brought it to work yesterday..Rides great..Do need a new rear tire(slightly tweaked,never liked them anyway.) . Shifts normally. stays are normal shape. No significant tire wobble. . when he touches up paint, will not know it was damaged..
So my question to my partner...Cromoly is forgiving..Not weakend..? Welds are forgiving..Not weakened..Unlikely to have a frame failure? My co-worker thinks that unlikely.. any frame people out there.