View Single Post
Old 04-29-05, 03:23 PM
Labarum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for taking the trouble to answer me so fully.

My Trek 800 is not yours. I bought it new in Cyprus and it has had very little use. It has probaly done more miles in the last two weeks than in the previous 12 years. It was serviced by a local shop, but how much attention they gave to the wheels, I don't know.

Yes, there are some nice rides round the local lanes, and I am thoroughly enjoying them. There are some hills too - a couple quite close by. Its not called a Grannie wheel for nothing!

July I will be on holiday in Cyprus, which is my wife's home, but I could be around and might be ready to attempt 60 miles.

I hanker after a road bike, and will move slowly to that. I have a lot to learn, some weight to loose, and some fitness to gain. As a teenager I had a ten speed Falcon - 27" x 1.25" wheels if I remember, and it was more lively that my plodding Trek 800 even with the Continental City Contact tyres. On the flat and downhill I definitely feel I need a higher gear or two. I remember the posture of the Falcon being more comfortable than the Trek - it would be nice to have a frame that was properly selected for me. I am 6ft 3in with long legs and a short body. But I must remember that I am not 18!

I will see how I get on over the next few weeks - looking in the catalogues my initial view is a Trek 1000 or 1000c would be a good starting point for discussion. I don't think I want to race, but just enjoy a responsive bike on the lovely lanes round these parts.

But that looks interesting:

http://www.ridgebackbikes.co.uk/bike...asp?bikeID=133

http://www.awcycles.co.uk/products.p...d=m1b0s21p6533

PS 15 miles in 75 mins today - with a 5 min stop to gossip to the primary school caretaker - will try 20 tomorrow.

Last edited by Labarum; 04-30-05 at 01:31 AM.