Old 07-17-10, 10:12 PM
CarlRJ

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more Swift

Hi everybody! I got my Xootr Swift a month or so ago for my birthday (my wife suggested we get each other bikes this year); first bike I've had in a looong time.

My silver Swift, which was the demo model for the only SoCal Xootr dealer we could find (my wife reasonably insisted I actually ride one before buying), came all stock except for the extended stem (which is perfect for my height).

I proceeded to upgrade a number of the stock components: Salsa Moto Ace 11-degree-sweep handlebars (cut down to around 560mm), Ergon GR2 grips, SRAM X.4 Trigger shifter, MKS Exim (quick-release) pedals with PowerGrips, and a Brooks B.17 Imperial saddle.

The trigger shifter and Ergon grips made riding a lot more comfortable than the stock configuration (lovely bike but the cylindrical handgrips on such a short bar were abominable, especially with the grip shifter taking up half the right handgrip - I occasionally shifted accidentally, or lost track of which direction was up vs. downshift - the triggers are much more precise/definite), then adding the slightly (~2") wider and more swept-back handlebar made the steering MUCH less squirrelly/twitchy.

Then I added a kickstand, and a Carradice SQR Glentress quick-release seatpost bag (which mostly carries a Kryptonite New York Lock, and the MagicShine and RADBOT 1000 lights, when they're not in use). The bag stays home (dropping noticeable weight) if I'm just doing laps around the neighborhood.

I've got a tiny fold-up backpack inside the seatpost bag, so I can lock the bike somewhere, then put the seatpost bag and pedals into the tiny backpack, if I wander away from the bike. Or, if we're out around the neighborhood, and buy something unexpected, it gives me a hands-free way to carry it home. And the seatpost bag/contents normally stay home (quick-release is nice) if I'm just out riding for exercise, without plans to stop.

I also bought a dozen feet of 1" silver Reflexite V82 Conspicuity Tape, along with a 7/8" hole punch, and proceeded to "decorate" the rims and a few key spots on the frame (and my helmet) with little circles. They mostly blend in on the silver bike during the day, but light up a lot when they meet headlights at night.

And one special mention to the Steady Eye clip-on helmet mirror, which seems far more robust, and far less in-the-way than any of the other helmet-mounted mirrors I considered.

Possible things to add in the future include a Sigma BC1609 computer (wired, because I've read of trouble with signal interference from lights, etc.), Schwalbe Marathon Plus or Big Apple tires, when the stock tires wear out, and Kool Stop MTB brake pads, just because everyone keeps recommending them.

This is my only bike, and I plan to keep it that way -- the Swift seems like one of the few bikes where you can have just one for every purpose. Plus, folding means it can fit in a very small corner of a very small house (as well as easily storing in the car's trunk on occasion).

I've noticed that a big upside for this bike is that, with its mostly off-the-shelf parts, you can do lots of upgrades. The only downside seems to be... you can do lots of upgrades. Plus, bikeforums.net should be arrested for "aiding and abetting"; I've gotten all sorts of dangerous ($$$) ideas here

Two pictures, taken too late in the day; tried to fill in the shadows and ended up getting a bunch of the otherwise-stealthy Reflexite dots to light up.

Last edited by CarlRJ; 07-18-10 at 05:54 PM. Reason: forgot a word, got a url wrong