View Single Post
Old 07-19-10, 02:31 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I know it was 30 odd years ago but I got onto salt tablets when I was Racing Karts (Go- Karts) I used to do Endurance races- 6- 12 and 24 hour events. One hour driving and one hour rest. One event and we were over 100F for the event and high humidity. Salt tablet every hour and we were fine but one of the other drivers in my club did not believe in salt tablets.

He developed all the symptoms that you had. By the end of the 6 hour event and he was off to hospital with heat stroke.

It is surprising how much liquid you need and how much salt loss you will have. Especially if you are "Over" exerting yourself with the speed you were trying to keep up. If you sweat that much- it is not only Fluids you are losing. One sure sign you had was the salt crystals. As soon as you start losing that amount of Salts- They need replacing- unless the crystals were an excess that the body had to start with and that is very hard to do.

I know salt is frowned upon nowadays for medical reasons- but the body does need some. Go stark raving mad as you did in trying to stay up the front and you need extra. Ordinary salt may not be included much in your diet- I know I don't take a great deal nowadays- but it is a necessary chemical that you require. Don't know if drink supplements will replace it adequately but I use a couple of things on the long rides that do help replace it.

One is a salty snack--or 3-- and the other is marmite. Marmite is made from salt and a couple of marmite sandwiches will replace the essential salts that you have lost on the ride. And the good side effect is that it will clear the palate so you can start taking the drinks with additives that have finally said you are going to "Up Chuck" if you have another gulp of the stuff.

Spike Milligan