View Single Post
Old 07-20-10, 11:12 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Congratulations on an epic accomplishment. Lots of people enter the STP, and many finish, but I've never heard of anyone doing it on a sprained ankle before...!
Read this account from the Cascade 1200. Chris rode up Washington Pass (5477') and Rainy Pass (4855') with his ankle immobilized with duct tape because they couldn't find any real first aid supplies to work with. People do some nutty stuff to complete a long distance goal. I've told a few people before... when you start riding over 200 miles in a single day, you're not necessarily doing it because it's healthy.

Originally Posted by The Historian
Cliftongk1, Kamala, magohn, and any other veterans of this ride: do you have any advice for people who want to tackle it next year?
My preparation for a year previous was to do a bunch of century rides, then work my way up to a 200k. Aside from just putting in the base miles, I made sure to pick century rides that had hills, so when I got to doing STP the course would seem much easier than the terrain I trained on.
You do a lot of touring, so you're probably in tune with your nutrition and what works/what doesn't, and that is usually the biggest problem for anyone starting into LD riding.