View Single Post
Old 07-20-10, 02:33 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Great job, magohn. You are one tough so and so.

Cliftongk1, Kamala, magohn, and any other veterans of this ride: do you have any advice for people who want to tackle it next year?
Kamala and Cliftongk1 makes some very valid points. My contribution is to NOT camp at the Centralia mid-point if you want to sleep. We got to bed at 10pm and really needed sleep (we were in a camping trailer) - we had to listen to drunks shouting and were treated to the loudest train engine horn you can imagine, it went on all through the nigh. I did sleep from 10PM to 2AM but it was sporadic and when I woke at 2AM to the sound of the diesel train, that was it - I was awake till 5AM.

I too would strive for 100+ miles on the first day. it gets you away from the crowds and more options in nicer locals if your camping.

These are all minor complaints though - I loved it! What an experience. Very nice bunch of people and excellent support on the ride.

As for training, I did small rides after or to work (approx 11 miles each time) and one 50-60 mile ride on the weekends. I have a young daughter and I love biking, but not as much as spending time with her.
Two days of weekend riding just were'nt going to fly...

Last edited by magohn; 07-20-10 at 02:39 PM. Reason: addition