Old 07-20-10, 02:40 PM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spaceballs
So what actually broke? Was is the external bearing cups? I am not entirely sure, but I think the BB that comes with this crankset is the same as the BB that comes with the Omniums.

If the axle of the crankset is bent, I am not sure a different crankset would be any better. I have compared the axle of three different SRAM cranksets [Omniums, Rival, and s300s], and the axle looks pretty similar. I know the crankarms are made of different materials between the three different cranksets, but not sure if that applied to the axle.

For what I think you are describing to happen, I would think that there must have been some play in the crankset, BB, or a combination of both.
Yes the cups blew out... And as best I can tell the axel of the crank set itself is bent and thus the cups were stuck on it... I'm sure there must have been some play but nothing I noticed while riding... The fact that the left arm slid right off without needing a puller scares me... I know the look similar, I just wonder if the quality and machining is better? Funning thing is I was just talking to a coworker of mine the other other day about how he had broken the square taper right off his Phil BB for the 2nd time...

I'm really pissed though, was so happy to be riding my new wip, only other crank set I have is a cheap one I got in a used bin... Id rather not pull my Omniums off my other bike...

Anyone got some used black Omniums for sale?