Old 07-21-10, 10:40 AM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I have a Chris King 1-1/8" threadless headset on one bike as it came as part of a package deal. So far (4 years and 15,000 miles) it has been flawless and the steering precision is wonderful. If the split ring centering collar Cane Creek and FSA use to support the top bearing isn't there, it certainly isn't missed.

That said, I also have both Cane Creek (S-3) and FSA (Orbit X and Orbit XLII) headsets on other bikes and they are also perfectly satisfactory. The FSA's have the split crown race which certainly makes installation a breeze.

My take: Chris King makes an excellent headset that sells for a premium price but has limited applications since they don't, and won't, make integrated headsets. They have no real superiority over the current Cane Creek and FSA products which are far less expensive and seem just as functional.
+1
I've got King on my two "nice bikes" and they are great. I've had FSA and Cane Creek on my lower end bikes and they are great too. I you want bling get the king. If you want utility at a cheaper price point get Cane creek or FSA