SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Why to you consider the Bendix to be superior to the Fitchel and Sachs? I have no personal experience with either hub, but from what I've read I get the impression that the Fitchel and Sachs is considered to be superior. It's certainly a better looking hub.
Very true, F+S and Velosteel clutch-cone and roller-clutch hubs are among the best. I do think they're all around better than the old Bendix 2-speeds, though they tend to be a little harder to find and more expensive than used Bendix stuff, in my experience. I ran a F+S Komet single model for quite a long time in an old Higgins middle weight I had and loved it. The Duomatic/Torpedo, for example-- good hubs. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

When I talk about braking power above I'm mainly talking vintage common American hubs: New Departure Type D vs Bendix. The New Departure clutch-disc design is somewhat similar to F+S, but it doesn't have the same braking power that the newer F+S or Velosteel hubs do.

Where the clutch designs shine also (F+S/Velosteel and ND) are in pedaling forward: they really do have low drag compared to the shell-shoe hubs. With Bendix/KT/Shimano/Hi-Stop, if the shoes don't always fully release, so you get a shoe what will drag a little. This is when the shoes "float" in the hub and can rub and clunk some.

The only hubs I generally "avoid" in general now are the later Made in Mexico Bendix hubs and stuff like KT/Hi Stop/Shimano coaster hubs. Unfortunately this is the stuff you run into most commonly. A local shop here immediately will order you one of the KT/Shimano hubs if you ask for a "coaster brake".