View Single Post
Old 07-22-10, 11:55 AM
ModeratedUser01102018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW

I was a little nervous to go to the bike shop, but I did. I walked in and walked around the shop. As I almost made my loop (fairly small shop) one of the two employees walked up to me, and asked if I was looking for anything. I walked in looking for a Specialized, but he told me they mostly only carry Giant. He noticed I was looking at the road bikes so he asked if I was interested in getting into road bikes. I told him yes and he showed me the Defy 3. He seemed more of a mountain bike type of guy but he definitely knew a decent amount about road bikes. I said I'd like to get into racing, maybe for my school team next year. So he said if that was the case, I should step up to something that could handle more riding. He pulled out the Defy 1 and explained about it, I didn't understand half of it but it was cool I was about to say thank you and leave with a good idea of what price range I'd be looking at, and then....

He popped the question.

"Do you want to take it for a spin?"

I melted with joy.... but I gave a non-chalant "sure"

I looked around and saw this parking lot that was half flat half on a hill full of potholes, so I was a little concerned. He put some pedals on it, and walked it outside and explained how to ride it (I had to ask haha I never thought about how to shift the damn things before! Im used to the little wrist motion to shift) He grabbed me a helmet then was like "Yeah go across the street and just take your time and enjoy"

I was pumped because I knew the street he was talking about and its a long quiet road.

I struggled to get my feet in the freakin toe things, but once I road across the insanely busy main road, I was free. This was the most amazing ride I have EVER been on in my life, I went so fast (probably was slow compared to actual riders) but the wind was intense. I shifted a bunch of times, and went around a few cul de sacs.

Then came the serious part. I had to test myself....
So I picked out a little crack in the road a good distance away as my finish line, and pretended I was in a leadout train.
My name? Mark Cavendish
Renshaw led me out, then I bursted with speed to the line.... my god it was INTENSE but my legs turned in to jello after.

Sorry that was off-topic, but I am shocked he let me ride it and with so much freedom, and I was very impressed with the bike. I think Ill check out the Specialized at the other shop, but now I am convinced I NEED a bike.