View Single Post
Old 07-23-10, 09:18 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
New frame is home. A bit confused about the headset. They gave me the bare minimum; no center stem cap. Only marking is FSA on the top cap; no markings on the bearings to indicate which model. No 411 on the stack sequence of the parts.

General headset instructions from the FSA web site kinda hint at it. Here are the five parts. I assume it's - left to right - top cap, compression ring, top bearing, bottom bearing, crown race. I also assume that's the top-to-bottom stack sequence. I sorta dummy-laid it out that way, without seating the crown race all the way on the fork, and it seemed to be the most logical and make for the smoothest rotation. Bearings definitely drop-in fit perfectly in the headtube this way. I guess the only thing I'm uncertain about is the split compression ring. Does that appear to be the right order? There's also a pic of the bottom "cavity" in the headtube where the bearing seats.

At least this crown race (if that's what it is) has enough "lip" under it to remove it reasonably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crownrace..jpg (59.0 KB, 12 views)
compressionring..jpg (64.3 KB, 12 views)
headtube..jpg (66.1 KB, 16 views)
headset..jpg (61.7 KB, 18 views)