Old 07-24-10, 04:30 PM
'47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad tale of a Tombay Grande...and a serious tire question!

A wheel touch led to a tombay causing multiple fractures to my 63 year old pelvis which happily didn't need screws/surgery but the orthopod condemned me to 6-7 weeks on a walker (exposing me to many "elderly" jokes). It's surprising how much you can do on a walker...still trying to figure out how to go up and clean the roof gutters. Maybe not this year.

Doctor tells me to expect some extended residual soreness on one of the ischial tuberosities (sit bone) that was cracked. I've been planning my return to the roads. Weight forward drop bar bike with relaxed geometry sounds good....I have a Riv Romulus I can use that should do well with its standard (now "long") reach brakes to allow lower pressure, bump absorbing, more comfortable tires...fatties like 32 or 35mm's.

Puncture resistance and durability aren't so important to me as lightness, resiliency...the "fun" part.

Anybody have experience with Schwalbe Marathon Racers or Mitsuboshi Grand Bois (as found in Bicycle Quarterly)??? Or any other similar tire? Before Avocet sunk, I happily rode for a time their 32mm FasGrips.